The Folklore Museum of Kymi was established in 1981 by the Cultural Association of Kymi.
It is housed in a two-storey Neo-Classical building in the center of town which belonged to the National Bank and is now owned by the Association. It exhibits more than one thousand eight hundred items of the period 1800 to 1930, a time Kymi prospered financially, socially and culturally, due to the trade of the local red wine in the ports of the Black Sea and France. This prosperity can be seen in architecture, local costume, cottage industry and generally the way of life.
Εκθέματα - Συλλογές
The Museum exhibits rich collections of items which represent the following fields of popular art:
Weaving (especially gossamer-thin silk and rep-weave cloth)
Embroidery (mainly cocoon-formed and white embroidery)
Local costume (men’s and women’s wedding, Sunday and everyday clothes)
Painting (works of G. D’Esposito, Sot. Chrysanthopoulos)
The collection of the Museum consists only of items donated by the people of Kymi and they are exhibited in this way:
On the ground floor is the large room with the bridal costumes, the military uniforms of the Balkan Wars, the Bishop’s sacerdotal vestments, chalices, items of carved wood, jewels and the “urban corner”. There is also a room with household items, the Museum office and Library and the Photography Darkroom.
On the first floor are the rooms that represent a typical dining room and a sitting room, a room with a loom and hand woven items, three rooms with embroidery and knitting work and the room of photos and documents of Kymi which include those of the locally-born great doctor George Papanicolaou. The store house is on the attic above this floor.
In the basement is the wax works, a room for the washing, and the traditional underground cellar with the farmer’s tools. The maintenance room and the café are also there.
In the garden there are an exhibition and conference hall and a circular theatre for cultural activities which supplement the functions of the Museum.
At the nearby village of Pyrgos is planned to be established a branch of the Museum in the Chrysanthopoulos Mansion, a building of the previous century of architectural interest, with stone reliefs, wall paintings and the traditional furniture and utensils.
Location – Hours of Operation
Address: Nikolaou Pappa 14, 34003, Kimi